Thursday, May 7, 2015

The Bedford Researcher: Chapter 9 Summary and Discussion

Chapter nine of The Bedford Researcher reviews how to research sources that are not on the internet. The chapter has an introductory section for using library print sources and information on how to browse book stacks. There are navigation tips for those unaccustomed to using print sources at a library. One of the perks of browsing library stacks is that, because the classification system is subject based, you can browse freely through the shelves of a subject related to your topic. You don’t have to use certain Boolean phrases, know how to type in proper terminology, or sift your way through a staggering number of search results. Sometimes the perks of using print sources is that they may not be available on the internet – or readily available. The chapter includes information on the Inter-library Loan process, as well.

This chapter wasn't applicable to my writing topic at first but it did include a lot of great information on how to navigate the works cited pages of articles that are helpful to me. When I come across a quotation or reference in a journal article that I know I’ll want to use in my paper, I navigate to the Works Cited section or make note of the annotation, circle it, and save it for later. I now have another potential source! I have to be careful to keep my sources diverse, though, or else they’ll all be related in one way or another to a certain journal or university. I've utilized the bibliographies of articles a few times so far but three of these promising sources are only available through Inter-library Loan.

No comments:

Post a Comment